What does a 925 Gold Jewelry Stamp Mean?

Whether you’re looking for jewelry or you’re just curious about knowing what 925 means when stamped on your jewelry, you’ve come to the right place. Many pieces of jewelry have .925 or 925 stamped on them and this number does mean something.

Many people we encounter think that 925 stamped on a ring means that the ring is 92.5% gold, but they are very wrong. If you’re thinking about buying a piece of jewelry that has 925 stamped on it, you should know what 925 means.

We explained what 925 on jewelry means below.

What is 925 Gold

925 or .925 stamped on gold means that the jewelry isn’t really gold, rather, the item you have is made of 92.5% silver with the surface of the silver plated with gold. 925 stamped jewelry is relatively inexpensive since it’s mostly silver with a very thin layer of gold applied to the surface.

If you have a piece of jewelry that’s stamped with 925 and plated with gold, you’re probably looking at gold vermeil, which is just a fancy French way of saying that it’s silver plated with a thin layer of gold.

Jewelry sold in the United States must be stamped with a mark that tells the purchaser how much gold is in a piece of jewelry. 925 silver has little gold applied to it, so it’s not even labeled with any type of karat, rather it’s labeled with 925, indicating it’s actually silver.

You might hear that some silver is 14k gold plated or 18k gold plated silver, but don’t let this fool you. 14k and 18k gold plated silver, is mainly silver, with a microscopic layer of gold added to give it that gold look.

Look at the stamping on the inner portion of your ring, necklace, or bracelet and if you see the number 925 or .925 stamped, you should know that the piece you’re looking at is 92.5% silver, with a very thin layer of gold applied to the surface.

So if you were wondering what does 925 mean in jewelry, now you know that it means that it’s 92.5% silver that’s plated with a very thin layer of gold. So, the next time you see a piece of jewelry stamped with 925, you’ll know it’s actually made from silver and not gold.

If you’re looking for jewelry that’s made of gold and not silver, you should look for jewelry that’s stamped with 10k, 14k, 18k, 20k, or 22k.

  • 10k: 41.7% Gold
  • 14k: 58.3% Gold
  • 18k: 75% Gold
  • 20k: 83.3% Gold
  • 22k: 91.7% Gold

How is 925 Gold Jewelry Made?

925 Jewelry is made by creating the shape of a piece of jewelry from 925 sterling silver (92.5% silver) and then a process called electrolysis is used to apply a thin microscopic layer of gold.

Electrolysis is used to apply a thin layer of gold to the surface of, in this case, sterling silver. Before applying gold to silver using electrolysis, the jewelry is cleaned from any oils or dirt.

Once the surface of the silver is cleaned, it’s rinsed with water to remove the cleaning agents that are used to remove the dirt. After it’s rinsed with water, an extremely thin base coat of nickel is applied to silver.

After adding a base coat of nickel, the jewelry is rinsed against and then a final coating of gold is added.

Gold is added by submerging the piece of silver jewelry into a gold plating solution. The submerged piece has hung with a cathode bar that’s negatively charged. When the negatively charged jewelry is submerged into the positively charged solution bath, the negatively charged silver jewelry attracts the gold in the solution.

The more time that a piece of silver jewelry is left in the solution, the thicker the coat of gold. This allows the maker to apply as much gold coating as he wishes to silver jewelry.

Once the gold plating is applied, the jewelry is given a final rinse and walla, you have silver that’s coated with gold.

Summary of the Steps to Make 925 Gold Jewelry

  1. The surface of the silver is cleaned from any oil and dirt
  2. The surface of silver is rinsed
  3. Sometimes a base coating of Nickel is added for better bonding
  4. Silver jewelry is then negatively charged and submerged into a positively charged solution
  5. Silver jewelry is left in the solution for a period of time (the time it’s submerged depends on how much gold the maker wants to add, the more time it’s submerged, the thicker the gold coating)
  6. Silver 925 gold jewelry is then rinsed
  7. Walla, you have 925 silver that’s coated with gold.
back to menu ↑

What is 925 Gold Worth?

First off, it’s important to note that there is no such thing as 925 gold. A piece of jewelry that’s labeled or advertised as 925 is 92.5% sterling silver with a thin layer of gold coating. 925 silver that’s plated with gold is not worth a lot. You can pick up a 925 gold plated ring on Amazon for $25. So, 925 gold plated silver is quite cheap when compared to the same ring in gold could cost $300+, almost worth 10x as much.

So, if you were wondering whether gold plated jewelry is worth anything?

The answer is that they aren’t worth much when compared to actual gold jewelry, which can cost hundreds and even thousands of dollars, in comparison to gold plated jewelry, which can be found for as little as $25 on sites like Amazon.

back to menu ↑

Is Gold Plated Real Gold?

Gold plated is not real gold. In fact, gold plated just means that a very thin layer of gold has been added to a metal, such as copper or silver to cover its surface.

Most gold plated jewelry has less than 1% of real gold. So, the next time you hear gold plated, an alarm should go off in your head.

If you were to bring a piece of sandpaper (don’t do this unless you want to destroy your jewelry) and you were to sand any item that’s gold plated, you will expose the metal that’s underneath the very thin layer of gold.

So, the next time you go shopping for jewelry, just remember that 14k gold plated and 18k gold plated does not mean that you’re buying gold. You’re probably buying silver or copper that’s covered with a thin microscopic layer of 14k or 18k gold.

An 18k gold ring has approximately 99% more gold than the same ring that’s 18k gold plated.

back to menu ↑

Is 925 Silver Good Quality?

925 silver is good quality silver that is 92.5% silver. Jewelry that contains sterling silver in the U.S and the UK is at least 92.5% silver and is considered good quality silver jewelry.

That said, silver is much less expensive than gold. An ounce of gold currently retails for $1,500+ white an ounce of silver costs $15, making gold 100 times more valuable than silver.

However, if you’re looking for silver jewelry, you should know that 925 means that silver is 92.5% silver and the remaining 7.5% are other metals that are mixed in with silver. Said differently, sterling silver is made of 925 parts silver and 75 parts of other metals, such as copper.

925 or .925 silver is good quality silver because it has other metals mixed in with the silver. Silver alone tends to be quite soft, so adding other metals, such as copper gives silver more strength, allowing it to retain its shape and making it a good choice for a piece that you want to wear every day.

back to menu ↑

Frequently Asked Questions

Can White Gold Have 925 On It?

No, white gold does not have 925 on it. If you have a piece of jewelry that you suspect is white gold but has 925 or .925 printed on it, then you’re looking at Sterling Silver. Sterling silver means that the piece of jewelry that you have is 92.5% silver and the remaining 7.5% is other metals such as copper that’s used to strengthen silver. If you have white gold then it will be marked with a karat, such as 10k, 14k, 18k, or 22k.

Can a 925 ring have real diamonds?

A 925 ring is a sterling silver ring that’s made of 92.5% silver. A silver ring costs anywhere from $7 to $30, making it very unlikely that someone would place a diamond that’s worth hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a silver ring. The answer is that it’s probably not a real diamond because silver rings aren’t used to house diamonds.

Why does my ring say 925?

Your ring says 925 because 925 is used to refer to a ring that is made of 92.5% silver. A 925 ring may be plated with less than 1% gold, but the 925 mark is there to tell you that you have a silver ring on your hands. A 925 silver ring is much less expensive than a gold ring. You’ll know you have a gold ring when there is a karat indicated on the ring, such as 10k, 14k, 18k, etc.

What does 925 on gold jewelry mean?

If you have jewelry that has 925 stamped on it, that means your “gold jewelry” isn’t real gold and that it’s made out of silver with possibly a very thin layer of gold, making it less than 1% gold. So, if you have a necklace, bracelet, or ring that has 925 stamped on it, you should know that it’s not actually gold, but rather silver.

 

back to menu ↑

Gold Karat Chart

KaratGoldSilverCopper Zinc Palladium
Yellow Gold9k37.5%42.50%20%
Yellow Gold10k41.70%52%6.30%
Yellow Gold14k58.30%30%11.70%
Yellow Gold18k75%15%10%
Yellow Gold22k91.70%5%2%1.30%
White Gold9k37.5%62.5%
White Gold10k41.7%47.4%0.9%10%
White Gold14k58.30%32.20%9.50%
White Gold18k75%25% (or Pt)
White Gold22kN/AN/AN/AN/AN/A
Rose Gold9k37.5%20%42.5%
Rose Gold10k41.70%20%38.3%
Rose Gold14k58.30%9.2%32.5%
Rose Gold18k75%9.2%22.2%
Rose Gold22k91.7%8.40%

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

      Leave a reply

      Emoche ᛜ Jewelry Heaven
      Logo