Buying diamond jewelry can be exciting. Whether you are buying it for yourself or you are buying it as a gift for you loved one, it is best that you take extra care when selecting a particular piece. The mere thought of buying it may already cause some confusion in your mind but then you need not fret as here are some helpful diamond jewelry shopping tips for you.
1. First of all, you need to decide on what type of jewelry are you planning to purchase. Depending on your purpose, you might want to buy a necklace, a pair of earrings, a bracelet, a ring or probably a set. Each piece of jewelry will surely vary in terms of price range so you will have to decide on the type.
2. Of course, we are not expert jewelers so we will surely have to do some research. First off, we must familiarize ourselves with jewelry terminology particularly diamond jewelry terminology.
Some basic diamond terminology are the four C’s or the cut, the clarity, the color and of course, the carat. Most of the time the price of a diamond will depend on the four C’s.
The cut will determine the diamond’s brilliance. Do not confuse this with the shape because the cut is all about the surface. If the facets are precisely placed, then you will have a diamond with outstanding brilliance.
The clarity is about any flaws in the diamond. Most diamonds have birthmarks or inclusions. The lesser the inclusions, the higher the clarity.
Diamonds can be colorless or yellowish. The color is another consideration. Colorless diamonds tend to be more expensive than those with yellowish colors.
When you talk about carat, this means the weight. The higher the carat then the more expensive the diamond will be. The four C’s will help you determine whether the diamond piece you’re about to buy is worth it or not.
3. Diamond jewelry is undeniably pricey especially if you are going after fine pieces. Sparkling diamonds can be very tempting and if you don’t set your budget firmly you might end up overspending. So before you go out of the house, decide first on how much you are willing to spend.
4. Always take into consideration the jewelry store you are planning to buy your diamond jewelry from. Keep in mind that there are a lot of diamond jewelry scams so you will have to be very careful so that you won’t end up buying a piece that is worthless or of low quality.
Choose your jewelry shop wisely. It would be better if you buy from a jewelry shop that has been around for a long time and has a very good reputation and track record. Also, knowing the shop’s clients will help you decide whether or not it is safe to buy a precious diamond jewelry set.
5. Do not forget to ask for documentation such as certifications from independent gem laboratories and authentication. These documents will help assure you that what you are about to buy is indeed authentic and worth every penny you are about to pay for.