Properties of Silicones
Silicones exhibit many useful characteristics, including
- Low thermal conductivity
- Low chemical reactivity
- Low toxicity
- Thermal stability (constancy of properties over a wide temperature range of −100 to 250 °C).
- The ability to repel water and form watertight seals.
- Does not stick to many substrates, but adheres very well to others, e.g. glass.
- Does not support microbiological growth.
- Resistance to oxygen, ozone, and ultraviolet (UV) light. This property has led to the widespread use of silicones in the construction industry (e.g. coatings, fire protection, glazing seals) and the automotive industry (external gaskets, external trim).
- Electrical insulation properties. Because silicone can be formulated to be electrically insulative or conductive, it is suitable for a wide range of electrical applications.
- High gas permeability: at room temperature (25 °C), the permeability of silicone rubber for such gases as oxygen is approximately 400 times that of butyl rubber, making silicone useful for medical applications in which increased aeration is desired. Conversely, silicone rubbers cannot be used where gas-tight seals are necessary such as seals for high-pressure gasses or high vacuum.
Silicone can be developed into rubber sheeting, where it has other properties, such as being FDA compliant. This extends the uses of silicone sheeting to industries that demand hygiene, for example, food and beverage and pharmaceutical.
Traditional rings are often forged of gold, palladium, platinum, argentium silver, titanium or tungsten, but these rings can be severely uncomfortable. Silicone rings are soft, flexible, durable, ultra thin and move with you as you work. They are easier to maintain, safer and you’ll forget it’s even on.
Silicone rings are attractive, comfortable rings made of silicone rubber that are heat resistant non-conductive and they offer a level of protection a normal ring does not.
They are a safe alternative for jobs that require safely working with hands every day. This includes:
- Medical Staff
- Construction workers
- Military personnel
- Lab workers
- Adventure sports enthusiasts
- Campers and hikers
- Race car drivers
Top 5 Best Silicone Wedding Rings